I put things in boxes. I make lists. (I am definitely more like my mother than she knows.)
One of my siblings turned 14, yesterday. I celebrated by making a list of things that happened in my 14-year-old life, while he was playing Halo 4 with his friends.
When I Was 14:
- Had my first kiss. First “boyfriend.” Awww. He did change my life, though.
- Stopped using a Sharpie as my preferred writing utensil.
- Participated in my first theater competition. Shakespeare festival. I was Viola, from Twelfth Night.
- A rumor was spread about me secretly being a prostitute. Which some people believed.
- Eyeliner! Black. And black t-shirts. Became acutely aware of how much I hate wearing floral prints.
- Started eating. Lost 2o pounds.
- Found Korn. Judge me all you want. I love Korn.
- Flew by myself for the first time. To Long Beach, from Salt Lake City. I felt pretty special, walking across a tarmac.
- Cast as a 40s secretary in two plays. Hyperventilated on stage — on purpose. The skills I learned during those shows have stuck with me, but apparently my roles don’t count as work experience.
- Played poker for the first time. Had some major beginner’s luck. Have never won a game since.
What were you doing, when you were 14?